Our Mission: Eliminate the learning gap for disadvantaged urban children
Would you like to help an inner city school with its mission of improving outcomes for economically disadvantaged children as they embark on their education? To help with this commendable goal, this school focuses on family support, rich extracurricular activities, and pairing teachers with social workers. The school's location in the Bronx, New York City is a short walk from the world famous Yankee Stadium and Bronx Museum of the Arts. They are looking to hire 12 United States certified teachers at the Kindergarten or Elementary grade level. The salary is USD $55,000 or more depending on experience and qualifications. Go ahead: apply today and share this job posting with other teachers you know who would be a good match.
More About The School:
The Rosalyn Yalow Charter School opened September 1, 2015 with 212 students in grades K and 1, and will grow a grade each year for the 5-year duration of our charter. The school will reach 536 students by its 5th year. The school’s 11 key design elements: qualified staff focused on at-risk students; a robust response-to-intervention team, consisting of special education and ESL teachers overseen by a director of assessment; a quality curriculum, consisting of Core Knowledge Language Arts, Singapore math, and inquiry-based science; high-quality collaborators, including the Bronx Arts Ensemble for art, dance, and music, chess instructors, and fencing coaches; meticulous data-driven instruction, guided by STEP Literacy assessment and NWEA MAP for math.
The school promotes a team teaching model, pairing an experienced lead teacher with a teacher with a social worker background in grades K-2; and family involvement, beginning with home visits by teachers prior to the start of school. Their strong school culture is built on character and using the disciplined activities of arts, chess, and fencing to develop the whole child; they have a low student-teacher ratio of 11:1, an extended school day, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and a 2-week longer school year.
About the Position - Lead Teacher:
- 3 years of successful full-time classroom teaching. Prior experience in a culturally diverse, urban environment is preferred.
- New York State Teaching Certification.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience developing and executing lesson plans aligned to the Common Core standards.
- Familiarity with Singapore math and Core Knowledge Language Arts curricula strongly preferred.
- Ability to identify students’ challenges to learning, implement timely and consistent RTIs, and work collaboratively to address the cognitive, social, and emotional well-being of students.
- Demonstrated effective classroom management techniques, incorporating principles of character education, ethics, and student accountability.
- Data-Driven: Ongoing quantitative and qualitative data analysis, record keeping, and progress in monitoring student learning.
- Being bilingual in Spanish and/or French a plus.
Highly Valued Characteristics:
- Support and commitment to the school’s mission: belief that all students can learn at a high level, regardless of race, culture, or socioeconomic status.
- Collaborative leadership style—ability to mentor and work cohesively as part of a team, including social workers, special education teachers, ESL teachers, content specialists, support staff, and outside groups.
- Ability to work with RTI team to develop student assessments.
- A passion for the profession and strong communication skills.
- Ability to use feedback from administrators, peers, students, and parents to modify teaching, materials, pace, and rigor.
- Respect and concern for children, their parents/guardians; maintenance of ongoing communication with parents in the form of home visits, team meetings, telephone conferences, correspondence, workshops, etc.; strict adherence to FERPA, HIPAA, and confidentiality requirements in dealing with sensitive issues concerning students and their families.