Making International Calls from Taiwan
International calls can be made from private cell phones, public IDD phones, or hotel IDD phones. International calls are charged in units of six seconds. It is best to have a phone card when making these calls to prevent a shocking bill in the future. Teachers have a habit of “drunk dialing” in fact, that seemed to be the only time I called home when I was abroad. My folks thought I had a bit of a problem but it was just that I got a little over emotional after the 12th bottle of beer. After the first phone bill I ALWAYS used phone cards or better yet Skype.
The procedure for making international direct dial calls from Taiwan is as follows:
1. Dial Taiwan’s international access code, 002
2. Dial the country code of the country being called (1 for North America, 86 for mainland China, etc.)
3. Dial in the area code of the called party (leaving out the long-distance recognition digit, “0”)
4. Dial in the number of the called party.
For operator-assisted international calls, please dial “100.”
For international information, call this free number: 0800080100.
Reduced price periods and fees for International Subscriber Dialling (ISD) are as follows:
- 10:00 p.m. – 8:00 a.m. daily
- 12:00 noon Saturday
- all day Sunday
- until 8:00 a.m. Monday
- all day on national holidays
Credit or Reverse Charge Calls in Taiwan
For reverse charges or credit calls, dial 008 + the communication number for the country being called, as follows:
- Australia 008-061-0061
- Canada 008-012-0012
- UK 008-044-0044
- USA(AT&T) 008-010-2880