Requirements to Teach in Brunei
In order to be considered to teach in Brunei you must meet all the following requirements.
There are two different types of opportunities currently available in Brunei, please review the requirements for each and understand that there are NO EXCEPTIONS. If you do not meet these requirements please consider other countries – we don’t make the rules, we follow them.
Requirements to Teach in Public Schools in Brunei:
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree
– preferably in English/Linguistics/Humanities.
– must be from a university in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa or UK.
– you must have completed your basic and tertiary education in one of those countries.
- Qualified teacher status in the form of a B.Ed/Dip Ed/Dip Teaching/PGCE preferably for primary/secondary aged students
- Minimum of 3 years relevant classroom – teaching experience (must be post qualified experience).
– primary teachers must have taught 4 – 10 year olds, but they must have experience and must be comfortable teaching 4 year olds. All teachers will be teaching at these levels.
– secondary teachers must have experience teaching 11 -18 year olds.
- Relevant subjects experience especially for Secondary are English/Literacy or a combination of these plus Humanities.
- Secondary teachers must also have one year EFL/ESL experience. If they have a cert or a dip in TESOL “that is all well and good“ but if they do not have any experience, they will not be considered.
- Secondary teachers must be under 55 years of age at start of initial contract and primary teachers under 52 years of age (Brunei government regulation).
Requirements to Teach for the Ministry of Religious Affairs in Brunei:
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in English or Humanities from a University in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand or the UK and to have completed their basic and tertiary education in one of those countries.
- Cambridge DELTA / Trinity Diploma TESOL.
- Minimum 3 years experience, including at least one year of teaching ESL in mainstream curriculum schools in UK or overseas (secondary and/or primary).
- 52 years old or under at start of contract (Brunei government regulation).