Canadians – E2 Visa Instructions

Canadians – E2 Visa Instructions

Canadians, please follow these instructions to get your teaching visa for South Korea. This information is for teachers going to private language schools only. The process for public schools is different.

Canada did not sign the Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Documents, so the process for Canadians is different from all other countries.

All documents have to be “legalised” by the Korean Consulate or Embassy nearest to you. This is subject to change. If you hear of new requirements or changes, please notify us immediately.

And hey, if you haven’t even applied for a job in Korea yet, you should fill out our one-minute online application. It’s free and our team will connect you to the hiring directors in the best schools (and then help guide you step by step). This saves you time and hassle not having to figure everything out on your own.

At present, the following is what you are required to do for the visa:

STEP 1 – Document Collection, Notarization and or Korean Consular Seals.

You must begin organizing the following documents before you get a job offer:

A) University Degree (notarized with Korean Consular Seal. Note: as of August 31st, 2010, Korean Immigration will no longer accept original degrees: only photocopies, notarized with Korean consular seal.)

  • must be a four-year Bachelor’s degree (at minimum) in any discipline
  • must be from an accredited university
  • To get a notarized copy with consular seal:
    * Make a photocopy and have it notarized by a notary public.
    * Send or take the notarized copy to the Korean Embassy or Consulate that has jurisdiction for your area (more on this in just a moment!).

B) Criminal Record Check

  • Your record check cannot be more than six months old when you apply for your teaching visa.
  • You are no longer able to use police criminal record checks from your your local police department. National level checks are required; i.e., this must be an RCMP clearance.
  • Have the results sent to you or pick them up yourself.
  • If they ask, tell them it is for Footprints Recruiting and provide our address (listed on our home page).
  • This report will come certified and will not need to be notarized by a local notary public or lawyer.
    Once you have your notarized degree copy and RCMP clearance, send or take them to the Korean Consulate nearest to you for Consular Notarization.

  • In-person drop-off: please check with your Consulate regarding the procedure (contact information below).
  • Mail in: send by Xpresspost only to Korean Consulates in Canada (ATTN: Notarization Department).
    • Include a return Xpresspost (only) envelope with postage and your address.
    • (See the list of Korean Embassies and Consulates below)

C) Health Statement

  • This is a simple questionnaire form from the Korean government where you personally answer the questions. Once you arrive in Korea, a full blood test and physical exam will be administered.
  • The test will include testing for narcotics, TB, HIV, and other communicable diseases. The government suggests that they are not testing for THC or marijuana but please note that smoking marijuana in Korea is a criminal offense and is NOT handled lightly. Foreigners are not exempt and are in fact targeted. DO NOT BRING ANY DRUGS TO KOREA, OR USE ANY THERE.
  • If you do not pass the health exam in Korea you will likely have your visa revoked and will not have a job or health insurance.

D) Passport Photocopy

  • No, this is not a photocopy of the cover of your passport – we have had that a lot …
  • This is a photocopy the information page of your passport.
  • Make sure you have at least 6 months on your passport before it expires.
  • Make sure there is at least 2 completely empty pages in your passport.

E) Resume

  • Print a copy of your resume.

F) Signed Copy of the School Contract

  • The contract will be provided to you by e-mail once you agree to the contract and the school accepts you as their teacher.

G) Five Passport Sized Photos

  • These are standard passport photos – the same that you would need for a new passport. The photos must not be older than 6 months.
  • Have one additional passport photo on hand for the final stage of the overall E2 visa application process, in STEP 3.

We move to Step 2 once you have been offered and have accepted a teaching contract in Korea

STEP 2 – Send your Documents to Korea

Required Documents:

  1. copy of original degree with Consular Seal
  2. notarized Criminal Record Check with Consular Seal
  3. health check statement
  4. photocopy of the information page of your passport
  5. copy of your resume
  6. a signed copy of the contract
  7. two passport-sized photos

Please send your documents by FedEx or UPS only! Do not send by Canada Post or Purolator – if you do, your documents cannot be tracked in Korea.

Once you’ve sent your documents, please retain a copy of your invoice with the tracking number of your package and the address you sent it to. Please send Footprints a copy of the tracking number.

It is very important to note tracking number as the school will want to know where your package is in case of delivery issues.

Once your documents are in Korea, your school will take these documents to the Ministry of Justice and Immigration in Korea to get a “Confirmation of Visa Issuance Number” for you.

Within 7-12 working days, the Immigration Office will issue a Confirmation of Visa Issuance Number; also referred to as the Visa Reservation Number or Visa Confirmation Number.

The number will look something like this: UJBO 08007392 (the first four characters are letters, the remaining characters are numbers).

The school will then forward this number (by e-mail) to you (or us). You will need this code to put on your teaching visa application for the Korean Consulate.

STEP 3 – Mail or Bring your Visa Paperwork to the Korean Consulate

We move to this step assuming that you have received your Visa Confirmation Number. If you don’t have it, please check with your Placement Coordinator and they will contact the school to see where things currently stand. Korean immigration usually takes 7 to 12 business days to process applications in Korea.

Once you have your Visa Issuance Number it is time to send or take your application and supporting documents to the Korean Consulate or Embassy nearest to you. **Check the links below to find out which office has jurisdiction for your province.

Take or mail the Visa Application form and the required documents to the Korean Consulate with jurisdiction of your area.

Required Documents to Apply for an E2 Teaching Visa at the Korean Consulate

  • completed E2 Visa Application Form
  • Passport: Make sure you have your passport ready, that there is 6 months validity left on it and that there is at least 2 empty pages. Make sure it’s signed too.
  • Photo: You will need to send a passport picture with your application or a picture that is 2 inches by 2 inches.
  • Confirmation of Visa Issuance Number: Fill in the reservation number in the appropriate section of the application form.
  • Fee: Please always contact the consulate at the time of applying to confirm the fee and accepted payment methods

Always call your consulate to ensure you are familiar with their procedures.

Each consulate has different processing times (from one hour to 5 days), so ask them when it will be ready and let us know as soon as you know so plans can be made. If you didn’t go in person, call the consulate to make sure they received your documents and to find out when your visa will be ready.

Once you have received your passport back with your E-2 visa, you are all set to begin your journey to Korea!

Here is a list of Korean Consulates in the Canada and their jurisdictions. Please find the one that is responsible for your province :

Korean Embassy in Ottawa – responsible for Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, and Newfoundland.
Address: 1250 Rene-Levesque Boulevard West, Suite 3600, Montreal, Quebec, H3B 4W8
Phone: (514) 845-2555

Korean Consulate in Montreal – only candidates who live in Ottawa should process their visas here.
Address: 150 Boteler Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 5A6
Phone: (613) 244-5010

Korean Consulate in Toronto – responsible for Ontario (except Ottawa) and Manitoba.
Address: 555 Avenue Rd, Toronto, Ontario, M4V 2J7
Phone: (416) 920-3809

Korean Consulate in Vancouver – responsible for Alberta, British Columbia, NWT, Nunavut, Saskatchewan and the Yukon Territory.
Address: 1600-1090 West Georgia Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6E 3V7
Phone: (604) 681-9581