There are loads of things you can do in the UAE beyond teaching. This page is meant to provide information for expat teachers who would like to join a sports club, hockey team, ultimate frisbee league or even a social club that is expat or Emirati in nature.
Joining and becoming part of the local community is an important step in enhancing your life abroad and beating culture shock and homesickness.
We are always looking to expand our list of clubs, volunteer opportunities and social groups of all descriptions. If you know of other clubs or would like to add a club to this list please email us to let us know. Also, if you know more information about a club, or if a club stops functioning, please let us know.
This list is by no means exhaustive. We are simply pointing out some of the more interesting clubs in the UAE.
- Abu Dhabi Choral Group - Abu Dhabi Choral Group started with a number of choral music lovers in the late 70s and is still holding on till today, mainly due to a good organisation structure (there is a board which runs the yearly activities of the group) in addition to a constant drive of the members to keep choral music part of the Abu Dhabi musical landscape. Everybody is welcome to join - no auditions are required except for solos and principal roles. www.abudhabichoralgroup.com/choralgroup
- Abu Dhabi Photographers - Abu Dhabi Photographers initiative is to help improve your photography skills it doesn’t matter if you are a beginner, amateur or professional photo passionate. ADP supports its members by organizing training meetup’s based on photography, organizing photography exhibitions and photography field trips. http://www.meetup.com/ADP-UAE/?trax_also_in_algorithm2=combo&traxDebug_also_in_algorithm2_picked=combo
- Al Sharia Ladies Park - The Shari'a ladies' park and swimming pool in Al Rahba district in 1995 to provide women, and Emirati women in particular with a place to practice such hobbies as swimming within the frame of the customs and traditions of the Emirati community, to meet other women and form new relationships and build the sense of community. The center serves the districts of Al Rahba, Al Bahia, Al Samha, and Al Shahama.
- The park's administration is very adamant on providing various programmes for women of all ages in different fields; culture, education, and recreation, plus the social aspect. The center includes a computer center, social cultural center, art studio and the English language center which provides language courses all year round. http://www.fdf.ae/En/aboutus/centers/Pages/Sharia-Park-and-Pool.aspx
- DUPLAYS Abu Dhabi and Dubai – Duplays Abu Dhabi and Dubai organizes recreational Abu Dhabi sport leagues for players of all skill levels. If you want to play a sport you love with other people in a social setting, then you’ve come to the right place! We take care of facilities, equipment, staffing and scheduling. Sign up online and come play with us today! Founded by expats looking to play recreational sports, we’ve been making Abu Dhabi and Al Ain sportier since 2009 and are growing every day with over 10,000 registered members.
- Ras Al Khaimah Sailing Association - RAKSA has been at the centre of the expatriate social scene in Ras Al Khaimah since the 1970s. Come and enjoy our beach, our boats and kayaks, our picnic, kitchen and barbecue facilities, our clubhouse (with satellite TV, dartboards, and pool table.) Our fleet includes Wayfarers, Toppers, Lasers, Spankers, Optimists, Fevas, several Unidentified Floating Objects , and a racing dhow.
Again, this list is by no means exhaustive. You can find a club for almost anything in the UAE. Simply type in what you are looking for on google and away you go! You will be amazed with the sheer amount of expat groups in the UAE. Have fun!