You are here

Canadians - E2 Visa Instructions

Canadians - E2 Visa Instructions

Canadians, please follow these instructions to get your teaching visa for South Korea. This information is for teachers going to private language schools only. The process for public schools is different.

(UPDATED June 5, 2012)

Canada did not sign the Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Documents, so the process for Canadians is different from all other countries.

All documents have to be "legalised" by the Korean Consulate or Embassy nearest to you. This is subject to change. If you hear of new requirements or changes, please notify us immediately.

At present, the following is what you are required to do:

STEP 1 - Document Collection, Notarization and or Korean Consular Seals.

  • You must begin organizing the following documents before you get a job offer:
  • University Degree (notarized with Korean Consular Seal. Note: as of August 31st, 2010, Korean Immigration will no longer accept original degrees: only photocopies notarized with Korean consular seal.) 
    • must be a four-year Bachelor's degree (at minimum) in any discipline
    • must be from an accredited university
    • To get a notarized copy with consular seal:
      • Make a photocopy and have it notarized by a notary public.
      • Send or take the notarized copy to the Korean Embassy or Consulate that has jurisdiction for your area (see the list of Korean Embassies and Consulates below).
        • One set of transcripts, a copy of your passport, and a money order are required at the consulate/embassy in order to get the copy of your degree Consular Notarized (see section 3. "Criminal Record Check" for instructions on bringing/mailing your documents to the Consulate).
  • Criminal Record Check
    • Your record check cannot be more than six months old when you apply for your teaching visa .
    • Order this from your local police department (this can be a local or a provincial search as all Canadian criminal records are in one database: CPIC)
    • RCMP searches are not required and take a long time.
    • Have the results sent to you or pick them up yourself.
    • If they ask, tell them it is for Footprints Recruiting and provide our address: 500-55 Water Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6B 1A1
    • This report must then be notarized by a local notary public or lawyer (often police stations will notarize their Criminal Record Checks).
    • Once notarised, send it or take it to the Korean Consulate nearest to you for Consular Notarization.
      • In-person drop-off: please check with your Consulate regarding the procedure (contact information below).
      • Mail in: send by Xpresspost only to Korean Consulates in Canada (ATTN: Notarization Department).
        • Include a return Xpresspost (only) envelope with postage and your address.
        • Include the fee ($4.80 per document) for the Consular Notarization - money orders only if you're not going in person.
    • The Korean consulate will only authenticate documents with a local notary seal on it first. 
  • Health Statement
    • This is a simple questionnaire form from the Korean government where you personally answer the questions. Once you arrive in Korea, a full blood test and physical exam will be administered.
    • The test will include testing for narcotics, TB, HIV, and other communicable diseases. The government suggests that they are not testing for THC or marijuana but please note that smoking marijuana in Korea is a criminal offense and is NOT handled lightly. Foreigners are not exempt and are in fact targeted. DO NOT BRING ANY DRUGS TO KOREA, OR USE ANY THERE.
    • If you do not pass the health exam in Korea you will likely have your visa revoked and will not have a job or health insurance.
  • Passport Photocopy
    • No, this is not a photocopy of the cover of your passport - we have had that a lot...
    • It is a photocopy the information page of your passport.
    • Make sure you have at least 6 months on your passport before it expires.
    • Make sure there is at least 1 completely empty page in your passport.
  • Resume
    • Print a copy of your resume.
  • Signed Copy of the School Contract
    • The contract will be provided to you by e-mail once you agree to the contract and the school accepts you as their teacher.
  • Five Passport Sized Photos
    • These are standard passport photos - the same that you would need for a new passport. The photos must not be older than 6 months.

We move to Step 2 once you have been offered and have accepted a teaching contract in Korea.


STEP 2 - Send Your Documents to Korea

Required Documents:

  1. copy of original degree with Consular Seal
  2. notarized Criminal Record Check with Consular Seal
  3. health check statement
  4. photocopy of the information page of your passport
  5. copy of your resume
  6. a signed copy of the contract
  7. two passport-sized photos


  1. Please send your documents by FedEx or DHL.
    • Do not send by Canada Post or Purolator if you do, your documents cannot be tracked in Korea.
  2. Once you've sent your documents, please retain a copy of your invoice with the tracking number of your package and the address you sent it to. Please send Footprints a copy of the tracking number and the website that will allow us to track the documents.
  3. It is important to spend the extra couple dollars to get the tracking number.
  4. Once your documents are in Korea, your school will take these documents to the Ministry of Justice and Immigration in Korea to get a Visa Authorization Number for you.
  5. Within 7-10 working days, the Immigration Office will issue a Confirmation of Visa Issuance Number; also referred to as the Visa Reservation Number or Visa Confirmation Number.
  6. The number will look something like this: UJBO 08007392 (the first four characters are letters, the remaining characters are numbers).
  7. The school will then forward this number (by e-mail) to you (or us). You will need this code to put on your teaching visa application for the Korean Consulate.


STEP 3 - Mail or Bring your Visa Paperwork to the Korean Consulate


We move to this step assuming that you have received your Visa Confirmation Number. If you don't have it, please check with your Placement Coordinator and they will contact the school to see where things currently stand. Korean immigration usually takes 7 to 10 business days to process applications in Korea.

Once you have your Visa Issuance Number it is time to send or take your application and application documents to the Korean Consulate or Embassy nearest to you. Check the links below to find out which office has jurisdiction for your province.

  • E2 Teaching Visa Application Form
    • Fields on the form you might have questions about:
      • 14. Classification: OR - ordinary (unless you are a diplomat!)
      • 18. Occupation: English Teacher
      • 26. Purpose of Entry: To teach English
      • 27. Potential Length of Stay: 1 year
      • 30. Address in Korea: same address to which you sent all your documentation
      • 32. Who Will Pay For The Expense For Your Stay?: Employer
      • 35. Guarantor or Reference in Korea: same person to whom you sent all your documentation

Take or mail the Visa Application form and the required documents to the Korean Consulate with jurisdiction of your area.

  2. Required Documents to Apply for an E2 Teaching Visa at the Korean Consulate
    • completed E2 Visa Application Form
    • Passport: Make sure you have your passport ready, that there is 6 months validity left on it and that there is at least 1 empty page. Make sure it's signed too.
    • Photo: You will need to send a passport picture with your application or a picture that is 2 inches by 2 inches.
    • Confirmation of Visa Issuance Number: Fill in the reservation number at the top of application form.
    • Transcripts: Send one set of sealed transcripts to the consulate.
    • Consul's Checklist: A simple two page document required by the consulate.
    • Fee: The cost will be: $55.00 CAD
      • This must be cash or a money order.
      • This will likely be for a single entry visa - you can change your visa to a multi-entry visa when you get your alien registration card in Korea. There is an additional cost for this, but it will allow you to leave Korea and return on the same visa.  If you don’t have this, your visa will expire if you leave Korea to visit Japan, Thailand or elsewhere for vacation.

Each consulate has different processing times (from one hour to 5 days), so ask them when it will be ready and let us know as soon as you know so plans can be made. If you didn't go in person, call the consulate to make sure they received your documents and to find out when your visa will be ready.


They might request an interview IN PERSON with the Consul General if they need additional documents and proof. Your visa will be processed after that.


Once you have received your passport back with your E-2 visa, you are all set to begin your journey to Korea! Your Placement Coordinator should have been working with you on arrangements for your flight arrival and your airport pickup. Keep in touch with your Placement Coordinator so they can make sure all the i’s are dotted and t’s are crossed. Have you read through the Footprints Teacher Korean Orientation Package? There is loads of information that will help you with culture, packing, arrival information and so forth.





Ottawa - Korean Embassy

150 Boteler Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 5A6

T:(613) 244-5010

F: (613)-244-5034

only candidates who live in Ottawa should process their visas here

Montreal - Korean Consulate

1250 Rene-Levesque Boulevard West, Suite 3600, Montreal, Quebec, H3B 4W8

T:(514) 845-2555
F:(514) 845-1999

Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, and Newfoundland

Toronto - Korean Consulate

555 Avenue Rd, Toronto, Ontario, M4V 2J7

T:(416) 920-3809
F:(416) 924-7305

Ontario (except Ottawa) and Manitoba

Vancouver - Korean Consulate

1600-1090 West Georgia Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6E 3V7

T:(604) 681-9581
F:(604 683-1682

Alberta, British Columbia, NWT, Nunavut, Saskatchewan and the Yukon Territory