There are several different companies to choose from when considering internet service providers in Taiwan.
(Prices subject to change and companies differ by county.)
- Cable Internet (also TV) - Good for browsing sites within Taiwan, but browsing sites outside of Taiwan is currently slow to load. Average monthly price: NT$700-up
- Giga - www.gigigaga.com Toll Free: 0800-017-357 ext.9
- Hinet - most people use this hineteng.hinet.net TEL: (02) 2361-5123, Toll Free 0800-080-412
- Seednet - www.seed.net.tw Toll call: 4050-9000 ext.7 For English Service (No area code necessary, dial as it appears).
- So-Net - cheapest www.so-net.net.tw TEL (02) 2655-3255, 2655-3556
Average monthly price: NT$500-up
If you sign a 1 year contract the rates are lower. Rates change from time to time so please check with the company websites for the most current information.
You will need your passport and an *ARC. (*even with an ARC you may still need a Taiwanese guarantor - too many foreigners have left without paying. Note if you do have a guarantor and you do a "runner", they will go after your Guarantor)
- Giga: Foreigners may fax application or apply in person, then they can bill your credit card in the future.
- Hinet: Foreigners need to go to any branch of Chung Hwa Telecom (the parent company of Hinet) in person. Afterwards, Hinet is able to bill you by mail (or charge your credit card for the service.)
- Seednet: Fax the application or apply in person. They can charge your credit card in the future.
- So-net: Foreigners may fax or apply in person and in the future they will charge your credit card for the service.